Hats for Hope began in 2004 when a handful of volunteers from KFC, YUM! Brands, Inc., Unified Foodservice Purchasing Co-op, LLC and Golden State Foods were looking for a way to raise funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer. Ten years later, Hats for Hope – a silent auction of hundreds of new, designer and gently worn Derby hats as well as a variety of other gift packages – draws hundreds of Louisvillians each year in an event of support and celebration.
Since 2004, Hats for Hope has donated nearly $465,000 to support the fight against breast cancer. The 2013 event raised $69,000 for breast cancer patient care through the M. Krista Loyd Resource Center at the James Graham Brown Cancer Center. The Hats for Hope volunteers hope that one day their efforts will no longer be needed because there will be a cure for breast cancer.
Traveling home from the Derby, worried about how you might pack your hat and want to support a meaningful cause?
On May 4 please donate your gently worn Derby hat to Hats for Hope at a local hotel. See below for a list of participating hotels:
- Crowne Plaza, 830 Phillips Lane
- Galt House Hotel; 140 North Fourth St.
- Hilton Garden Inn, 2735 Crittenden Drive
- Hilton Garden Inn Louisville Northeast, 9850 Park Plaza Avenue
- Horseshoe Hotel, 11999 Avenue of the Emperors
- Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel, 700 W. Riverside Drive, Jeffersonville, IN
- Marriott Downtown Louisville, 280 W. Jefferson St.
- The Hyatt Place, 701 S. Hurstbourne Parkway
- Courtyard Marriott, 9608 Blairwood Road
- Ramada Plaza, 9700 Bluegrass Parkway
- Marriott Louisville East, 1903 Embassy Square Blvd.