April 21, 2016 at the Triple Crown Conference Center
Hats for Hope began in 2004 when a handful of volunteers from KFC, YUM! Brands, Inc., Unified Foodservice Purchasing Co-op, LLC and Golden State Foods were looking for a way to raise funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer. Twelve years later, Hats for Hope – a silent auction of hundreds of new, designer and gently worn Derby hats as well as a variety of other gift packages – draws hundreds of Louisvillians each year in an event of support and celebration.
The 2015 event raised $65,395 for breast cancer patient care through the M. Krista Loyd Resource Center at the James Graham Brown Cancer Center. The Hats for Hope volunteers hope that one day their efforts will no longer be needed because there will be a cure for breast cancer.
2015 Hotels for Hat Collection
Each year, Hats for Hope volunteers are stationed at local hotels to accept hat donations for the next year. On May 3rd this year, the day after Derby, the following hotels hosted this effort:
- Crown Plaza – 830 Phillips Lane
- Hilton Garden Inn – 2735 Crittenden Drive
- Galt House Hotel – 140 N. Fourth Street
- Horseshoe Hotel – 11999 Avenue of the Emperors
- Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel – 700 W. Riverside Drive, Jeffersonville, IN
- Marriott Downtown Louisville – 280 West Jefferson Street
- Hyatt Place – 701 S. Hurstbourne Parkway
- Courtyard Marriott – 9608 Blairwood Road
- Ramada Plaza – 9700 Bluegrass Parkway
- Marriott Louisville East – 1903 Embassy Square Boulevard
- Hilton Garden Inn Louisville Northeast – 9850 Park Plaza Avenue
Talbots at the Forum accepted Derby hat donations from May 3-10th. Donors received 25% discount on full price purchases that day.